This delicious homemade caramel latte breaks through two common barriers to making a great barista drink at home. Whether you can’t have milk or just want to try a plant-based alternative, this is the perfect lactose-free way to join in with the cosy autumnal drinks! And we’ve made this with filter coffee to show you don’t have to have a fancy espresso machine.
Homemade salted caramel:
100g granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegan butter
65g full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt or to taste
1 and 1/2 tbsp salted caramel or to taste
120ml hot coffee - we recommend Fazenda Reis
60ml unsweetened plant-based milk
lt’s the winner of a two-star 2023 Great Taste Award – and the chocolatey best of Brazil. Fazenda Reis is the coffee we recommend for this indulgent recipe. With its indulgent chocolate and peanut-butter flavours, this dark roast is the perfect complement to your sticky-sweet salted caramel.
Making your salted caramel
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Stir regularly with a wooden spatula until the sugar melts, even though it may form clumps at first.
- Continue heating over medium heat until the sugar turns a golden brown colour. Be careful not to burn the caramel, or it will become bitter.
- Once the caramel is golden brown, immediately add the vegan butter and stir to combine. The caramel will bubble, so be careful not to burn yourself. Keep stirring until the butter is fully combined with the caramel.
- Next, pour in the full-fat coconut milk and simmer over low-medium heat for another minute, stirring constantly, until the caramel is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Let cool for a few minutes before using.
You should end up with about 100ml salted caramel sauce.
Making your latte
- Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of salted caramel to a glass. Pour in the hot coffee and stir until the caramel has dissolved and is fully combined.
- Froth your milk at home by heating it and either using a coffee frother or a whisk.
- Pour in the unsweetened plant-based milk. You can also top your latte with vegan whipped cream and drizzle extra caramel sauce on top.