1. Fill your portafilter basket to the top with Pact Coffee - this will be around 14-18g, depending on your machine
2. Using a tamper, apply even pressure to the coffee grounds - don’t push too hard, just ensure it’s level
3. Place your portafilter into the espresso machine’s group head
4. Start the water flowing by pushing the button, or switching on your espresso machine. TOP TIP 1: If your espresso machine has an automatic timer, don’t use it! You’ll get a better extracted shot of espresso if you keep an eye on it yourself.
5. The water should pour like runny honey from a spoon, turning from dark brown to a pale blonde colour and thinning while it does so - that’s when you should stop the water. This will be between 25 and 30 seconds, making 40-50ml of espresso. TOP TIP 2: Coffee’s flowing slowly, or not at all? Either use a little less coffee, if using pre-ground coffee, or use a finer grind if you’re doing it yourself. Flowing too fast? Just do the opposite!